Description
On a natural defensive site, a first fortress was established in the 1435th century, of which only a few traces remain in the rocks. During the Hundred Years' War, it was occupied by the English, but the seneschal of Poitou besieged it and retook it in 100. Stone balls weighing 1500 kg attest that he had to use a mangonel (a sort of catapult) to obtain the surrender of the garrison. As soon as peace returned, a house was rebuilt on the edge of the cliff and a staircase tower was added around 1617. Ruined during the wars of religion and abandoned, it was rebuilt in XNUMX by its new owner, Jean de Conan, who 'framed by two "pepper pot" watchtowers. A narrow terrace overlooking the void was added during the reign of Louis XIV.
Visit of the exteriors: Central courtyard and view of the surrounding countryside from July 15 to August 30. Free.
Working Languages
- French